Wednesday, September 05, 2007

THE GOSPEL: ARE YOU ASHAMED OF IT?

Like every sinner who has been justified (MADE LEGALLY RIGHTEOUS OR HOLY) based on Christ’s finished work of redemption at Calvary, I’m forced to admit there are many things I have done and am ashamed of, before and after my regeneration and conversion. I’m not just talking about those things all sinners agree to be sinful and evil before God, i.e., breaking any of God’s commandments. I know I have NEVER loved God with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength and I also know I have NEVER loved my neighbor (WHICH INCLUDES MY WORST ENEMY) as myself.

Even though I know I’ve failed God miserably and I’m ashamed of those failures, I’m most ashamed of those moral and religious things I did before conversion which I thought made the difference between saved and lost - “But what things were gain to me (made others and myself think I was saved), those I counted loss for Christ.” (Philippians 3:7) No one in their right mind thinks ungodliness and immorality can save them. But multitudes think their righteousness, morality, sincerity, and dedication can and do save them, even though the Bible expressly tells them it doesn’t. (See Titus 3:5; Romans 3:20; Galatians 2:16, Philippians 3)

In spite of the fact I am truly ashamed of all these things, like Paul I can honestly say: “For I am not ASHAMED of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.” (Romans 1:16)

As believers, we should never be ashamed of this glorious message that God has committed to us to proclaim to lost sinners. The reason we shouldn’t be ashamed of it is because it is the ONLY MEANS God will use to call His elect children to rest in Christ as the “Lord their Righteousness”. Paul calls it the “power” (in the Greek the word is dunamis, from which we get the word dynamite) of God UNTO salvation. The reason it is so powerful is because of what it reveals - “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith.” (Vs.17) In the preaching of the Gospel, God’s servants declare the ONLY RIGHTEOUSNESS God accepted to justify sinners. That Righteousness was worked out by the perfect life and obedient death at Calvary of God’s appointed servant, the Lord Jesus Christ - “He (Christ) shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.” (Isaiah 53:11)


If we don’t preach out this Righteousness as the sinners ONLY HOPE of salvation every time we speak for God, we should be ashamed of it because we haven’t proclaimed the Gospel. God help us to proclaim the clear, simple message of Christ and Him crucified every time God gives us the opportunity.

RICHARD WARMACK
Grace Baptist Church of Ruston, Louisiana


No comments: