Saturday, October 17, 2009

GOOD NEWS FOR SINNERS


Like most people in our country, I was raised in my parents’ religion. I was taught the “10 Commandments” at an early age. I was taught and read all the religious stories about Jesus. I learned all the songs religion teaches children about Christ. Just like my friends, I made a profession of religion at age 7, was baptized, and began my own life of religion. Being raised a Baptist, I clung tenaciously to “once saved, always saved”.

When I reached young adulthood, my parents quit forcing me to go to church, so I stopped going. But I was still “once saved, always saved”, because I had “accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Saviour”.

I only became interested in religion again when personal tragedy caused me to think, “I better get right, or I might get left.”

I made a second profession of religion at 23 and was immersed a second time. I became active in the local Church, was chairman of the deacon board, taught the fastest growing young married adult Sunday school class, and later surrendered to the ministry.

The tragedy of all this was that I did not know God.

I was religious, but lost.

Our Lord put it like this:

“And THIS IS LIFE ETERNAL, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.”
(John 17:3)

I never had any peace or security of eternal life and the false preacher I was under kept telling me: 'It’s not the one that starts the race, but the one who finishes the race who gains eternal life.' There was always another prayer to be prayed, an offering to be offered, obedience to be rendered. There was no hope of eternal life unless I fulfilled all my obligation. Basically I was trapped in works religion.

Is this the condition you find yourself in today?

Let me tell you: THIS IS NOT THE GOSPEL.

The word “gospel” literally translated means “good tidings”.

As God’s ambassadors we get the privilege to tell sinner’s who are trying their best to gain or maintain salvation by their religious attempts that Christ did ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING NECESSARY to obtain the salvation of all God’s elect.

Christ fulfilled every legal requirement of God’s law and justice for His people and He actually justified them at Calvary when He cried, “IT IS FINISHED”.

“Being (HAVING BEEN) justified freely (without any cause on our part) by his grace through the redemption (release secured by payment of the ransom price) that is in Christ Jesus.”
(Romans 3:24)

This is good news to a sinner!

Christ said - “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I WILL GIVE YOU REST.” (Matthew 11:28).

Now I have that “peace that passeth all understanding”, and I know I am as sure and certain for heaven as if I am already there - (Read I John 5:12-13)

By Richard Warmack

No comments: