Sunday, April 04, 2010

EYES MADE TO SEE


Some will talk wonderfully about the doctrines of grace, but have never known what it is to water the Throne of grace with their tears, that God the Holy Ghost would cause His doctrines to drop as the rain, and His still small voice to distill in their souls as the dew.

Poor things! They know nothing about these things by soul experience, for they are hid from these wise and prudent professors, and only revealed unto babes; and the dear Saviour thanked His Father that this was the case: “I thank Thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that Thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes; even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Thy sight.”

And why, O my soul, art thou not amongst them?

Is it because thou hast merited His favor more than they?

O no; it is because it pleased the God and Father of all mercies and all comfort that it should be so. Blessings and honors be unto Thee, O holy God the Father, that ever Thy love and choice was fixed upon such a brat of hell as I. Honors, blessings, majesty, praises, and glories for ever crown Thy head, O Holy God the Son, equal with the Father, and One with Him, that ever Thou didst condescend to take my nature into union with Thy Divine Person, didst obey and righteously fulfill all the demands of the holy law, and didst satisfy Divine Justice for all my cursed sins; didst conquer death, and him that hath the power of death, even the devil; and hath ascended up on high, and taken possession of the inheritance, and ever liveth to make intercession for my poor soul.

And O Thou Holy God, Thou blessed Spirit, One with the Father and the Son, blessings, honors, majesty and glories for ever be unto Thee, that ever Thou didst pick up my poor soul out of the ruins of the Fall; didst kill me to all works of righteousness which I could do; didst reveal justifying righteousness and pardoning blood to my heart, and didst bear Thy solemn witness to my spirit that I am an heir of God, and joint heir with Christ.

By John Warburton, 1776-1851

No comments: