Wednesday, December 29, 2010

WAS THE LORD JESUS TEMPTED AS I AM?


For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities but was in all points tempted like as we are yet without sin.
(Hebrews 4:15)

Was the Lord Jesus tempted like I am?

How can that be?

He was pure, spotless, and holy; but I am full of corruption from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. The Lord of life and glory had a perfect, unfallen nature, a holy human body, and a holy human soul, taken into union with deity; but I have a fallen nature, defiled in body and polluted in soul.

Can there be a resemblance in our temptations?

I would ask, what is it in you that feels the burden of temptation when Satan injects his blasphemies into your mind?

Is there not a something in you which is grieved, I was going to say tortured, by these fiery darts? Is it not the new nature?

And is not that nature spotless and holy?

Is it not born of God and therefore as holy as God is holy, and pure as God is pure?

Thus just in the same way as your pure and holy nature that is born of God is grieved and distressed by the fiery darts of Satan, so was the holy soul of the Lord Jesus ten thousand times more grieved and tortured by the temptations of Satan presented before his pure and spotless mind.

By J. C. Philpot

No comments: